Thursday, January 5, 2012

Jesus Freaks

I've been reading up on the Jesus Freaks lately, that Christian revival that was made up mostly of hippies in the 60s and 70s. I don't know how it so completely escaped me at the time, I only began to learn about it after I became a Christian myself, and now I'm finding out more about it. It does seem to have been a genuine move of God, a genuine revival, although there are questions that could be asked about its doctrinal tendencies. How many it brought into the church I don't know yet, but it's very impressive to see the apparent thousands who went to the Southern California beaches to be baptized. One source says Chuck Smith's church baptized 18 thousand over a two year period. I may yet put up some videos that include what is probably the most famous shot of a baptism, showing people crowded along the beach and the stairs down the cliff and along the top of the cliff overlooking the beach, with Chuck Smith and Lonnie Frisbie doing the baptizing, but I found this picture which may or may not be from the same time frame. It's not Smith or Frisbie in the lead here. I hope to post more on this subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment